Friday, August 21, 2009

A Thunderous Day

"Today is an ominous day", I said, as I was looking at the thunderstorm from my kitchenwindow.
"Do you want steak with steamed vegetables for dinner?" my assistant asked. I assumed that she had confused Ominous with Omnivore again.
"I said Ominous. It means scary and foreboding. Yep. Something is gonna go down today".
"It is just a thunderstorm. My mother told me, I shouldn't get scared. It is just a non-specific deity taking pictures of us". Julias mother was Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879 and her father was Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915, and early on they had decided that their children would be raised free of religious bickering.
"This is more than a Thunderstorm. This is big. Something is cooking".
"Cherry pie!" exclamationmarked my assistant. "It will be done in a little while".
I only heard half of what she said. I was distracted by a flock of seagulls flying above.
"Yep. Definently ominous. Even Denby packed up and went home early today". I took a sip from my teacup. "Definently".
My decided to call Grandpa. He usually knows ominous. When ominous is going down, his right knee begins to ache.
"Hi, grandma. How are you. Good, good. How is grandpas right knee? Yeah, the ominous one. Oh, that is good. His left? The Unannounced Visit from Aunt Annette And Family Early Warning Knee? Oy. Did you lock all doors, turn off the lights and retreat to the basement poolroom? Yes, the standard procedure. Good". And I put the phone back while I throught to myself. "Ominous indeed". I then turned to my assistant. "Now, about that pie..."

No comments: